Translate

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Silence in the Journey

Since Easter of this year I have been silent. The nagging to get back to writing has been immense but I honestly thought I had nothing to offer. I had hit a wall hard. I was questioning God hard. I really did not like Him.

My faith had been coming back in waves. I thought that my faith was big. God was doing a, b, c, in my life. But I found myself afraid in the midst of the giant faith. I found myself bargaining with God. And really I am embarrassed by it. My faith had become superstitious and dependent on the fact that God would do this if this came out a certain way. And I mean I was wrapped up in this obsession in daily mundane tasks. I thought God and I were great! I had Jesus in my back pocket. He approved of me because I was good. I was reading the Bible, I was praying, I was healing...doing the Christian thing...despite my panic...

Then an outside word entered my prayer life. The P word. Preparation. I started daily praying for the team going down to Nicaragua in June of this year. I started asking God to prepare me...us (my husband and I) for the trip. I had God in my back pocket. My assumptions were good, the nagging terror always there.

It happened. The preparation prayer revealed areas in my life that shook my foundation of faith. At one point I wailed to my friend...I have nowhere else to go but God. How could He take my superstitious faith and remove it for nothing. Not even a mustard seed iota of belief. And the funny thing is in the midst of nothing there was something.

I sat still.

I was silent.

I let myself grieve before God.

I was angry.

I was questioning.

I was just being.

I did not want to go to Nicaragua. How could I when I was a mess. I had to be perfect. My rabbit's foot faith was blown to smithereens. I had nothing to hold on to.

That is how I entered my homeland on June 14, 2014. For 7 days.

The P word that I prayed. Preparation.

Those 7 days there...in Poneloya, Nicaragua became wonder filled, rich days where I lived 5 years in one day..

I was greeted with a migraine the first full morning there. I did no bargaining with God. I did not look for signs. I simply asked Him to help me cope and move on with the day. The migraine was eased by my meds. And I moved on.

Was the trip hard? Yes. Was it easy? Yes. Was I prepared? Yes. Am I still preparing yes. Was I unprepared most definitely yes. But in the midst of my brokeness and unbelief...I was ok. I was listening...God and

Nicaragua is still calling...



http://velvetashes.com/the-grove-prepare/

9 comments:

  1. What a difficult experience, but I'm convinced God loves too much to leave us with only "rabbit's foot faith." Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is that love that silences the superstition. It is that love that brings me to my knees in utter dependence on Him! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking to Velvet Ashes ... you point out an important part of preparation: the ways in which God can also use it to reveal things in us, meet us in those areas, and bring healing/restoration than we knew we needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we knew we needed and yet did not know how to get to that point! I almost fell out of my chair when I came across Velvet Ashes...this week. I inner debated should I join or not then I came to the prompt for this week and wept. God is calling.

      Delete
    2. So glad you found us (sorry I'm having troubles commenting, I'm on a different computer).

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad that your inner debate ended in "yes"! This is so powerful. I love hearing when themes at VA are ordained.

      Delete
    4. Danielle...I honestly freaked out a little bit :) but truth is truth. I have been loving the site truly an encouragement!

      Delete
  3. I'm so thankful you found us AND jumped right in :). Warmly welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Jumping in...i have been on the sidelines for such a long time...God and his timing!

      Delete